Tonight I was driving home, I passed by the home of my former accountant that managed the “books” at my facility. She was a super-nice lady, who would talk incessantly on the phone about her three daughters, two dogs and her cat. We would chat almost daily about work related issues; prolonging the conversation with personal chatter. She was enjoyable to talk to.
One day we chatted about her children. She explained how difficult it was to “get by” on the salary her firm paid her. She told me the cost associated with raising three girls and their ongoing need for clothing, softball uniforms, chorus dresses, ballet outfits and other school activities.
“Some weeks, we just get by. We may split the last glass of orange juice four ways, but somehow we always get by. We may want more than we have, but we manage. Every day changes and brings changes with it. When money is super tight, I decide what is most important and that’s what we get.” she explained.
Manage. Get by. What’s important. I think that is what we all do in life. Unless you are one of the extremely fortunate people who have a bulging bank account on a daily basis, you are just like the rest of us….you too are just getting by. Imagine those who are living on a fixed income with possibly more needs than this single mother of three. Imagine a husband caring for his wife with dementia living on their meager social security and small pension checks. The medical bills, pharmacy bills, supplies and care all add up rather quickly and will drain what savings they have in no time. Then what? They are forced to sell their home, move in with their adult children, or place themselves in a facility…….everything they have worked for, saved for is……gone. They too, join the ranks of those who “just get by”.
Why is it that we see government funds spent on :
1. The National Science Foundation has given $384,949 to Yale University to do a study on “Sexual Conflict, Social Behavior and the Evolution of Waterfowl Genitalia”. Try not to laugh, but much of this research involves examining and measuring the reproductive organs of male ducks. *
2. The National Institutes of Health has given $1.5 million to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts to study why “three-quarters” of lesbians in the United States are overweight and why most gay males are not.*
3. Amazingly, U.S. taxpayers spend more than 1.4 billion dollars a year on the Obamas. Meanwhile, British taxpayers only spend about 58 million dollars on the entire royal family.*
4. NASA spends close to a million dollars a year developing a menu of food for a manned mission to Mars even though it is being projected that a manned mission to Mars is still decades away.*
5. Over the past 15 years, a total of approximately $5.25 million has been spent on hair care services for the U.S. Senate.*
6. The U.S. government spent 27 million dollars to teach Moroccans how to design and make pottery in 2012.*
7. During 2012, $25,000 of federal money was spent on a promotional tour for the Alabama Watermelon Queen.*
8. The U.S. government is spending $750,000 on a new soccer field for detainees held at Guantanamo Bay.
9. The Department of Health and Human Services plans to spend $500 million on a program that will, among other things, seek to solve the problem of 5-year-old children that “can’t sit still” in a kindergarten classroom.**
10. If you can believe it, the U.S. government has spent $175,587 “to determine if cocaine makes Japanese quail engage in sexually risky behavior”.**
Hmmmm. Let me get this straight. We spend money on soccer fields, quail and watermelons, yet we have hard working people barely scraping by, paycheck to paycheck? We have elderly couples losing everything they own to pay medical bills while government officials waste 5.2 million dollars on hair care products????? Seriously?????
Look. It costs money to have and raise children. It costs money if medical bills mount. It costs money to grow old. But you know what I think? I think our government should care more about our working class, and less about watermelons. I think the government should help offset the cost of care for dementia patients instead of building soccer fields for terrorist. Seriously who cares about the sexual activity of water fowl????????? Oh my goodness. What exactly is risky sexual activity for a quail???????????
Back to my accountant, she no longer works at the accounting firm. She is now an inmate in the women’s penitentiary. I guess she eventually grew weary of ” just getting by”, and embezzled a great deal of money. She certainly was wrong to steal and I am sure she regrets it every single day. I have no idea of what happened to her daughters . The little house they lived in, sits vacant and abandoned. How would things have turned out if the government had given her something, anything….a little bit of the money they wasted on menu planning for Mars? Would the elderly couple been able to afford to stay in their home if the government had given them a tiny fraction of the money they wasted on Moroccan pottery…….
* Source: Infowars.com
** Source endoftheamericandream.com